Herbed Bison Sliders w/ Blueberry BBQ sauce
1 pound ground bison, free range, all natural
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/2 red onion, sliced very thin and set in a bowl of salted ice water
1 head butter lettuce, washed, and leaves separated for wraps
Blueberry BBQ sauce
½ cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno (add the seeds and ribs if you prefer more heat)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water 1 tablespoon raw honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup fresh blueberries
hot sauce, to taste salt, to taste
1. In a mixing bowl, combine meat, oil, garlic, parsley, and seasoning.
2. Form 8 small biscuit-sized patties.
3. Grill burgers to desired doneness (for medium rare, about 3 minutes per side).
1. In a heavy saucepan, cook onion and jalapeno in oil until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add vinegar, water, honey, mustard, and tomato paste, and bring to a simmer.
3. Add blueberries and cook for 5 to IO minutes till the sauce is very purple. Cool to room temperature.
4. Blend till mostly smooth, and season to taste with hot sauce and salt.
5. Wrap each burger in lettuce, then top with onions and a drizzle of Blueberry Barbecue Sauce.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING FOR SLIDERS: 318.8 calories, 25.6g protein, l.2g carbohydrates, O.4g fiber, 0.0g sugar, 23.lg fat, 7.9g saturated fat, 88.2mg cholesterol, lI8.Img sodium
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING FOR BARBECUE SAUCE: 39.6 calories, 0.4g protein, 5.7g carbohydrates, O.8g fiber, 4.4g sugar, I.7g fat, O.5g saturated fat, 0.0mg cholesterol, 69.9mg sodium
The Brain Warriors Way Cookbook p.167