African Peanut Stew (Ground Nut Stew)
• 1 tablespoon peanut oil
• 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
• I medium yellow onion, diced
• 2 carrots, peeled and diced
• 1 green pepper, seeded, diced
• 2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded, membranes removed and minced
• 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
• I 112 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
• 2 112 tablespoons curry powder
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• I (28-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
• 2-3 cups chicken broth
• 1 medium red garnet yam or sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 3/4 cup peanut butter
• I g g in SlUts lies tc SIS
• Optional garnishes - Chopped tomato, cilantro, scallions, salted chopped peanuts, plain yogurt
Heat oil in a heavy, 6-quart saucepan over medium heat.
Add chicken and brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add onion, carrots and both peppers. Cook for 8 minutes.
Add garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
Make a well in center and add curry powder. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, tomatoes, broth, yams and peanut butter. Stir to combine and melt
peanut butter. Return chicken to pan along with juices in bowl.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and
simmer for 45 minutes. Serve with garnishes.